What is DevOps
Before you can determine if you can use DevOps it is important to define what it is and what it is not.VDevOps is not a product or technology but rather a methodology that acts as the glue or unites software development, production and operations into an integrated continuous process.The DevOps methodology is about dissolving the barriers between Development and Operations. It leverages people processes and technology for collaboration across the entire software development and releases process.
The Problem : Development is about faster innovation and doing things faster, Operations is about stability, control and predictability. Often not reporting to the same place in the organization. The problem is never meeting or collaborating in the middle. The lack of communication between the two create three problems.
- Employees do not work well together
- Software does not work reliably
- Customers Retention Suffers
7 Signs you are dealing with a dysfunctional Process
- Software Defects are discovered late in the process
- Development gains lost once the software goes into production
- Developers and Testers are consistently waiting on resources and tools they need causing delays
- Problems pinpointing issues across development, testing, and production operations
- Simple human errors causing problems during development and deployment
- Development views their job as complete once the application in is production
- Pointing fingers every time there is a problem
DevOps Transformation; Where do I start?
DevOps will provide stability and agility but realizing there is a problem is the first step. Getting out of the dysfunctional state and on the right track is the key to success.